Information for Parents
As parents of students at NMSU, we understand the vital role you play in the success of your child’s education. For some students, it is the parents who pay for their child’s education. While we understand that many questions arise, it is our obligation under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to comply with each student’s right to privacy and to only share student related information with only our student.
There are a couple of things a student can do to make their account more accessible to their parents.
- They can grant Authorized User access to individuals to view billing related details within our E-Bill/Make a Payment system. Depending on access rights a student may wish to grant, Authorized Users may:
- Access the E-Bill/Make a Payment system to view bills and make online payments.
- Schedule recurring, automatic payments through the E-bill/Make a Payment system.
- Receive e-mail notifications when a new billing statement has been published.
- Receive SMS text messages when a new billing statement has been published.
Simple instructions for creating an Authorized User can be followed by accessing How to Set Up an Authorized User.
- They can grant Proxy Access to their student information through their myNMSU. The only information needed for a student to grant this access is the individual’s e-mail address. Once a student has added the individual as a Proxy that person will receive their own login information. Depending on access rights a student may wish to grant, a Proxy may view the following Student Account information:
- Account Summary
- Account Summary by Term
- Account Detail by Term
- Student Account Holds
- Tax Notifications
The website for an authorized individual to access Proxy Access is my.proxy.nmsu.edu.
Please keep in mind that Authorized User and Proxy Access does not authorized University Accounts Receivable to speak to the user about the student’s account.
For more information directly related to parents and families, visit our Parents and Families page.